The position in which you hold your body while standing, sitting, or lying down during pregnancy involves training your body to stand, walk, sit, and lie in positions where the least amount of strain is placed on your back. Although your growing belly may make you feel like you are going to lose your footing, there are measures that one can take to keep a GOOD POSTURE.
Correct Way of standing during Pregnancy:
- Hold your head up straight with your chin in. Do not tilt your head forward, backward,down or sideways.
- Make sure your earlobes are in line with the middle of your shoulders.
- Keep your chest outwards and shoulder straight.
- Keep your knee straight and stand with a wider base of support.
- Pull your stomach in and up (as much as possible!).Keep your buttocks tucked in.
- Point your feet in the same direction, with your weight balanced evenly on both feet.The arches of your feet should be supported with well supporting footwear to prevent stress on your back.
- Avoid standing in the same position for a long time.
Correct Way of Sitting During Pregnancy:
- Sit up with your back straight and your shoulders back. Your buttocks should touch the back of your chair.
- Sit with a back support (such as a small, rolled up towel or a lumbar roll) at the curve of your back.
- Distribute body weight evenly on both hips.
- Try to avoid sitting in the same position for more than 30 minutes.
- At work, adjust your chair height and workstation so you can sit up close to your desk. Rest your elbows and arms on your chair or desk, keeping your shoulders relaxed.
- When sitting in a chair that rolls and pivots, don’t twist at the waist while sitting. Instead, turn your whole body.
- When standing up from the sitting position, move to the front of the seat of your chair. Stand up by straightening your legs. Avoid bending forward at your waist. Upon standing, do several pregnancy safe back stretches.
Correct Lifting Mechanism:Avoid lifting heavy weight during pregnancy If u have to, keep these things in your mind
- Before you lift an object, make sure you have firm footing.
- To pick up an object that is lower than the level of your waist, keep your back straight and bend at your knees and hips. Do not bend forward at the waist with your knees straight.
- Stand with a wide stance close to the object you are trying to pick up and keep your feet firm on the ground. Tighten your stomach muscles and lift the object by SQUATTING and not bending.
- Stand completely upright without twisting.
- If you are lifting an object from a table, slide it to the edge of the table so that you can hold it close to your body. Bend your knees so that you are close to the object. Use your legs to lift the object and come to a standing position.
- Hold the object close to body.
Correct Getting up Posture from lying down:
Avoid sleeping on your back especially in your third trimester as that puts a lot of stress on your heart. Sleeping on either side is preferable especially Left.
While getting up from lying down, go on your side and by taking support of your arms, get up.