If any adverse circumstances affect pregnancy endangering either mother or baby’s health or outcome of pregnancy , termed as high risk cases. They need extra care & timely intervention to improve the outcome.
But there are factors that can be present before a woman becomes pregnant, that can cause a high-risk pregnancy. Risk factors for a high-risk pregnancy can include:
- Young or old maternal age
- Being overweight or underweight
- Having had problems in previous pregnancies
- Pre-existing health conditions, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, or HIV
Health problems can also develop during a pregnancy that can make it high-risk. Such problems may occur even in a woman who was previously healthy. Following are some conditions that may cause a high-risk pregnancy
- Preeclampsia and Eclampsia
- Gestational Diabetes Mellitus (or gestational diabetes)
- HIV/AIDS or other viral infections like chicken pox, Hepatitis B/C/E
- Preterm Labor.
- Cholestasis of pregnancy
- Hemorrhage in pregnancy
- Other preexisting medical conditions like high blood pressure, diabetes, or heart, breathing, or kidney problems & infections can become more serious during a woman’s pregnancy.
Although pregnancy is a normal process of life, but it has lots of effect on mother’s body. Many changes occur in her which can worsen the existing disease, precipitate the occult health problems or can give rise specific diseases only related to pregnancy. In old time there is a saying that a woman has a rebirth after delivery, it is true in cases of high risk pregnancy.