We all know that pregnancy is a period where due to demand of growing baby in womb mother required more calorie and daily requirement of nutrient is increased. To achieve healthy outcomes every woman require well balanced diet & high-quality diet that includes 80 to 100 grams of protein,carbohydrate and fat along with plenty of fibers &water (calories from all of the food groups ).Nutritional status of women should be evaluated before conceiving for healthy mother healthy baby outcome . Pregnancy-related dietary changes should begin prior to conception, with appropriate modifications across pregnancy and during lactation.
What should not eat is as important as eating well balanced diet.
- Raw and uncooked food especially non vegetarian item. Even raw or runny egg is also dangerous as it can cause salmonella infection.
- Avoid raw milk and dairy products made from unpasteurised milk, as unpasteurised dairy foods are also prone to listeria.
- In super marts now in India we have many variety of see food and fishes It is necessary to know that .Certain see food and fishes should be avoided.FDA and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommended that pregnant mothers should consume up to 12 ounces a week of fish and shellfish that are low in mercury.They should continue to avoid fish with the highest mercury concentrations, specifically tilefish, shark, swordfish, and king mackerel. They should continue to limit consumption of white (albacore) tuna to 6 ounces a week.
- Raw vegetable sprouts – Pregnant women should avoid raw sprouts in food& eat thoroughly cooked sprouts.
- Liquids to avoid or limited intake –
Caffeine from all sources should be limited to 200 mg a day as it can affect baby .Alcohol affects normal fetal development.
The effects of alcohol exposure in the womb on intellectual abilities and physical growth are permanent.so no level of alcohol consumption is known to be safe at any time during pregnancy.
Fresh juices purchased from roadside stands, at farms, or in stores. For tetra packs also you should look for preservatives and pasteurisation.
Water –should be filtered or properly boiled.
Herbal teas and supplements – popular herbal teas are usually safe butall type of herbal supplements are not safe for fetal development.
- Plastic containing BPA (BPA is an industrial chemical used to make many hard plastics and the liners of many canned foods. It’s an endocrine disruptor that could disturb normal fetal development)
- Avoid food containing preservatives, junk food, too much sugar, artificial colour and added multivitamins and allergens specially self allergy to any food
Pregnancy is a time when you eat for your baby well being so it is important to know what not to eat.
Do you know that Some health issues affect women and men differently
- Emotional issues like depression is more common in women
- Women are more liable to have osteoarthritis
- Women suffer more with urinary tract infections and urinary incontinence
- Sexually transmitted diseases are more dangerous for women and can result in infertility
- Last but not least after heart attack women dies more than men
Increased risk for breast cancer, heart disease, and fetal alcohol syndrome, (in babies of alcoholic mothers) are reported in alcoholic women.
This is the one of reason why women require a speciality hospital and dedicated healthcare provider.